Back to Bruce Bargaining Updates Back to Strike/Lockout FAQ

What if the employer and the union cannot reach agreement in conciliation?


The conciliation officer informs the Ontario Minister of Labour that a collective agreement was unable to be effected. The minister would then generally issue a notice informing the union and the employer that he or she "does not consider it advisable to appoint a conciliation board" (section 21(b) of the act). This notice is known colloquially as the "no board" report. Conciliation boards are exceedingly rare and they have not been appointed in recent years.